- Buses travel from Kildare and Newbridge to Scoil Naomh Pádraig.
- Staff and pupils at Scoil Naomh Pádraig are very proud of our Green School status. We make a conscious and continuous effort to practice and promote recycling. Our Green school slogan is: Listen It’s Time To Eliminate Rubbish (LITTER)
- Our “Switch It off” campaign is based on raising awareness of energy conservation. Children have awareness of energy production and usage at school, home and surrounding environment. They have learned about various sustainable energy resources and have an upcoming tour to a wind farm.
- There is a broad range of Free Courses and Classes available to parents and family members through the Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) scheme such as: cookery, computers, dress design, photography and parenting courses.
- Scoil Naomh Pádraig is a DEIS school which benefits from School Competition Programme (SCP). Under this programme our pupils have the opportunity of attending annual Summer Camps.
- Scoil Naomh Pádraig presents a Christmas Show each year under the direction of a qualified Drama teacher.
- Pupils at Scoil Naomh Pádraig have the opportunity to learn how to play the Tin Whistle from 3rd class to 6th class.
- We celebrate World Book Day each year; pupils have the opportunity to dress up as their favourite character from their favourite book. Pupils are also encouraged to participate in a book exchange with their classmates.
- There are free Lunches on offer, provided daily by local supplier.
- There is a fully furnished Parents’ Room, which includes cooking facilities. This room is also used for cookery classes for pupils.
- Promoting citizenship is ongoing at Scoil Naomh Pádraig. Such is the effort made by pupils to demonstrate positive behaviour, that an annual Citizenship Awards Ceremony is held. Successful winners are presented with a medal. A good citizen is a pupil who among other things promotes the use of the Irish language, greets others respectfully and wears a smile often.
- There is a great interest in Gaelic Football at Scoil Naomh Pádraig. As well as taking part in a school league, the team also competes in an inter-school Gaelic competition. In recognition of success in this area, a perpetual shield is awarded annually to the Gaelic Player of the year.
- There is a newly established Basketball team in Scoil Naomh Pádraig this year; they are taking part in a Local School Blitz.
- Parent Teacher Meetings takes place in November.
- There is a Homework Club which runs weekly. As well as completing homework assignments, pupils also have the opportunity to take part in sports, games, art and craft activities as well as field trips.
- School Journals: each pupil is encouraged to buy the school journal which includes school details, school rules and aids communications between patents/guardians and school staff.
- Scoil Naomh Pádraig is a Reading Recovery school, which promotes success in reading. This programme includes children who are experiencing difficulties in reading and offers one to one daily thirty minutes sessions for twenty weeks. This intensive programme has enabled children to return to classroom attaining a level that is on par with their peers.
- Scoil Naomh Pádraig is also a Maths Recovery school – offering early intervention in numeracy through a range of practical tasks using a wide range of resources.
- At Scoil Naomh Pádraig we recognise the importance of inviting Visitors involved in various walks of life to our school to provide inspiration to our pupils. Some previous visitors to our school are:
· Gaelic football players from Kildare GAA take each class for forty minutes per week to develop the children’s Gaelic football skills.
· On sports day in the past, GAA player Anthony Rainbow (past pupil) played alongside pupils at a football match.
· Members from the RNLI (Royal National Lifeguard Institution) came to school to facilitate a very interesting workshop on water safety.
· Dara Wyer form Kildare County Council was very pleased with our efforts to secure a second green flag on recent visit to our school.
· Eoin Moore, (fire fighter) taught us about fire safety in our school.
· Our annual Summer Sports Day in June is guaranteed to be a day of fun - topped off with a visit from the Ice-Cream van!
· Ben Swindlehurst (Newbridge Rugby Club) provides Rugby Training to our senior pupils each year.
· One of our most important visitors is Santa Claus who, in December 2010 arrived at Scoil Pádraig in a fire engine. In December 2011 he arrived in an army tank! Each time Santa Claus has brought a treat for each pupil. We are wondering how he will travel to our school next Christmas!
- There is an active Parent Association working in our school. Each year the parent association work hard supporting various events within the school.
- Promotion of reading and a love for books is high on our agenda a Scoil Naomh Pádraig. Each year there is great excitement when the Travelling Book Club comes to our school. Pupils have the opportunity to select and buy books of their choice. There are great offers on a vast selection of books and the school benefits from the Book Club’s visit, as a donation of books is made for class and school libraries.
- Each of our classrooms is fully equipped with an Interactive Whiteboard. The Board of Management and staff of Scoil Naomh Pádraig recognise the important role of Technology in Teaching and Learning and hope to expand the resources in this area.
- Parents/Guardians had an opportunity to visit our school for a week of Class Assemblies this year. During this week, pupils sang songs, made music, recited poetry, demonstrated science experiment and displayed their art and craft work for all to view. It was a very positive and beneficial experience for our pupils. All who attended enjoyed also.
- We Support Various Charities each year. This year we have supported Temple Street Children’s Hospital.
- Fund fundraising events take place to raise funds for our school. An example of which is the “Witches’ Walk” which took place around the Curragh camp at Halloween.
- Staff at Scoil Naomh Pádraig uses a text-a-parent service for immediate and reliable communication with parents/guardians.
- This year Scoil Naomh Pádraig has dedicated time each week for the newly established School Choir to come together to learn and sing.
- Swimming Lessons are offered to all pupils each year. These lessons take place in the Curragh Pool, ideally located beside the school. Lessons cost €2 per pupil.
- Our Newly Refurbished Library was opened by author of “Spirit of the Titanic” (Nicole Pierce) in November 2012.
- Each year, our pupils perform at the annual Christmas Carol Service in St. Brigid’s Church, Curragh Camp. This is wonderful event of which we are proud to be involved in. This event provides an opportunity for us to showcase our musical talents to family, friends and members of the local community.
- On the occasion of retirement from her office, President Mary McAleese sent a lovely letter to out pupils in reply to their letters of congratulations and good wishes which were posted to Áras an Uachtaráin.
- The ‘One book, One Curragh’ project. This year there has been great interest in the book Spirit of the Titanic.
- Book Rental Scheme: the Board of Management and staff are aware of the raising costs of school books. Therefore we have introduced a book rental scheme.
- In conjunction with County Kildare Leader Partnership, Senior pupils from Scoil Naomh Pádraig visit Carlow Institute of Technology to experience various aspect of college life.
- The new School Website has been recently set up – samples of pupils work and school events are uploaded to the website regularly. (www.scoilphadraigcurragh.com)
- School Tours take place each year in the final term. At Scoil Naomh Pádraig we aim to ensure these tours have both educational and recreational elements!