3rd and 4th class were given the chance to walk around the school, trying to make up mathematical questions about the school and it's surroundings. We had lots of fun coming up with the questions, but even more fun taking part in the maths trail. Each team was made up of three people, and each team was a mixture of people from both classrooms. As the weather was so nice, we were even able to hold the maths trail outside too, as well as in the corridors, classrooms and hall.
Here are some samples of questions asked in the trail - next time you're in the school, why don't you see if you can answer them too??
- Multiply the amount of notice boards in the main corridor by the number of notice boards in the PE hall.
- How many sunflowers are on Van Gogh's painting "Sunflowers" outside Ms. Maher's corridor?
- Count the number of bins outside the school.
- How many grey / silver cars are there in the car park?
- Add the numbers shown on the registration plate of Ms. O' Malley's car together.
- How many types of shapes are there on the Junior yard?
- How many shapes are there in total on the Junior yard?
- Estimate how many people will fit on the friendship bench, and then check your answer.
Both classes had lots of fun taking part in the trail - what a fun activity for a sunny Friday afternoon!